Health Benefits and Nutritional Values of Oranges
Oranges are tropical fruits of the citrus species that are grown worldwide specifically here in Nigeria and other West African countries, containing several phytochemicals and flavonoids. It serves as the main source of the vitamin and is also rich in dietary fibre and other nutritional values with a range of health benefits.
• They contain phytochemicals such as citrus limonoids which helps to protect the body against cancerous diseases.
• It serves as a source of vitamin A that helps in the production of the red blood cells that fight against certain diseases.
• Oranges contain fructose which prevents the blood sugar level normal after eating because of its fibre and low sugar content.
• Oranges help to boost the immune system because of the presence of high vitamin C content, manganese, niacin, vitamin B-6, folate, pantothenic acid, phosphorus, magnesium, selenium, thiamin, riboflavin and copper.
• Orange juice helps in prevention and deformation of kidney stones in the body because of the presence of potassium in it.
• The thiamine contained in orange is a type of vitamin B known as vitamin B 1 which helps in converting carbohydrate into glucose that produces energy in the body. In this case, one sizable orange can produce 100% thiamine recommended daily for the body.
• Oranges are rich in beta-carotene which is the antecedent of vitamin A that the body converts beta-carotene into and it helps to keep the skin and the mucous membrane healthy.
• The presence of vitamin B6 in orange is to help reduce the level of homocysteine in the blood. When homocysteine is accumulated in the body system, it can cause heart disease; intake of oranges will always normalize its level in the body.
• Hesperidin is a compound found in oranges that supply flavonoid hesperidin which protects the body from poor circulation of blood and brain-protective effects.
• Oranges are a good source of polyphenols which protects cell constituents in the body from oxidative damage through scavenging of free radicals.
Orange is a nice fruit with lots of vitamin C content and a very sweet taste that every one like taking including the aged people but while consuming orange it is good to bear in mind that excessive intake of oranges might lead to digestion related issues like cramping due to the high fiber content which might lead to diarrhoea in some cases.