About Health Benefits and Nutritional Value of Yellow Monkey Kola
Yellow Monkey Kola is the most common type of African indigenous wild fruit called monkey cola that can be found around homes and villages mainly found in the southern parts of Nigeria.
It is called Ochiricha or Achicha in Igbo, Ndiyah in Ibibio and Efik with lots of potential contents such as beta-carotene, vitamin C, riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, flavonoids, alkaloids, saponins, tannins, fibre, other nutrients and phytochemical properties that are nutritious to health.
Nutrients present in this fruits are vitamins, carbohydrates, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magnesium. It contains vitamins, mineral elements and others which are beneficial to human health in many ways.
1. Like some other fruits, cola parchycarpa contains soluble fibre which contributes to the health of gastrointestinal tract and weight management.
2. The beta-carotene content in this yellow monkey cola contributes to a healthy skin and mucous membrane. The body converts the beta-carotene in the fruit into vitamin A which helps to keep the eye healthy for beta sight.
3. Riboflavin which is also known as vitamin B2 is present in the fruit and it helps to metabolize fat and proteins in the body system.
4. This fruit helps to lower cardiovascular risks and improve cholesterol level due to the presence of niacin (vitamin B3) known as nicotinic acid.
5. Intake of cola parchycarpa moderately can help to reduce the risk of heart diseases because it is rich in flavonoids which are metabolites that provide essential benefit to the heart and health in general.
6. Essential mineral elements are proven present in the vegetable and such that are needed for healthy bones, protein synthesis, proper functioning of the cells, organs, tissues and overall body functions and development.
7. Their low caloric effect has made it a better fruit for a weight-loss diet. Nutrition experts have discovered that fruits and vegetables that are high in fibre and low in calories serve best for weight-loss.
The yellow variety of monkey cola called cola parchycarpa has surplus nutritional and medicinal values than others such as the red and white monkey kola.
Cola parchycarpa has some micro-nutrients, low caloric, protective and nutritional effects in a high quantity.
The yellow aril, seed and fruit pericarp of this yellow monkey cola is quite nutritious in value and is advisable to be taken for health improvement but shouldn’t be taken in excess to avoid micronutrient deficiencies.