Nutritional Values and Health Benefits of African Spinach (Green)
These are dark green leafy vegetables found in most African countries specifically in Nigeria the western part of Africa.
African spinach contains important nutrients such as fibre, vitamins (niacin, vitamin A, folate, vitamin C and B6), minerals (calcium, iron, manganese, potassium, zinc, and magnesium), riboflavin and thiamine, including carotenoids such as beta-carotene among others which have been studies and found beneficial to human health in several ways.
1. African spinach is rich in fibre and water content, and also calories free making it very good for the digestive tract. This vegetable helps in digestion, prevent or relieve constipation as well.
2. The presence of important minerals such as zinc in the vegetable serves as immune system defensive agent that helps to fight against certain diseases causing infections in the immune system.
3. They contain important antioxidants such as lutein, xanthene and beta-carotene that helps to improve eyesight and prevent the eyes from the effect of ultraviolet rays that can cause cataracts as well as vitamin A deficiency.
4. Spinach contains some anti-ulcer properties that help to prevent the body from gastric ulcers.
5. Glycoglycerolipids are also present in the African spinach vegetable which plays a very important role in maintaining cell interactions and prevent unwanted inflammation within the body system.
6. Regular intake of spinach helps to improve skeletal and bone health because it contains certain minerals associated with bone health such as calcium and magnesium.
7. Helps in metabolism improvement because it contains the amount of protein needed in the body which the enzymes convert into amino acid which in turn gives normal structure to the body cells.
8. Contains chlorophyll just as most vegetables do. This chlorophyll has a key role to play in the body system boosting the amount of oxygen in the body, blood cleansing and building.
9. Spinach has important contents such as folate, potassium and others that correct issues relating to cognitive depreciation and reduce the occurrence of Alzheimer's disease. This implies that regular eating of this vegetable reduces the occurrence and offer gradual corrections to already existing neural problems.
Spinach is an important vegetable used for cooking and other culinary purposes. It contains a high value of various important constituents that are found worthy of benefiting the overall human health by treating certain diseases, correcting health issues and managing good health. This vegetable is better eaten when boiled to a certain temperature while the constituents still remain active to perform their functions.