Nutrition Facts and Health Benefits of Garden Egg Leaves
Just as other vegetables, garden egg leaves contain essential nutrients such as vitamins and minerals in a good quantity which play important role in human health improvement.
These vegetables are known as natural blood plumbing vegetable especially when eaten raw, called Akwukwo Aghara in Igbo and its seed is also called Mkpuru Anyara, Efo Igbo in Yoruba and Ganyen Gauta Hausa.
They considered as curative and well as nutritious diet due to the nutritional contents that serve as medication to certain ailment and substitutes for medical supplements.
Garden egg leaves or African eggplant leaves contain Vitamin B, C, potassium and calcium which are beneficial to human health in several ways such that:
· It helps to prevent dialysis by the total cleansing of the kidney. This leaves serves as detoxifiers to the kidney and it's more effective when converted into juice by boiling for few minutes and then filtering the juice in a container; this juice can be taken 3 times per day or more.
· Garden egg leaves is a healthy vegetable for pregnant women because it contains a good number of vitamins and minerals that are required for an improved health condition in pregnant women and provide good development, normal weight and prevention of birth defects for the unborn babies.
· These vegetables help in the prevention of cancer formation due to the presence of phytochemicals that fight free radicals that are prone to cause inflammations that might lead to cancerous diseases in the body system.
· It is used in managing obesity and reducing the level of cholesterol in the blood due to the presence of some micronutrients. Presence of potassium which contains an important salt helps in maintaining the heart condition and regulating the blood pressure.
· It is used in controlling the blood sugar level because the vegetables are high in fibre content and low in carbohydrate. In other words, it aids in proper digestion, maintenance of the digestive tracts and constipation reduction.
· Garden egg leaves serve as blood tonic for people suffering from a shortage of blood or are anaemic. To get this benefit, it is advisable that one gets the fresh leaves, washes in neat cold water, slice and eat it raw. This has long been a miracle vegetable for anaemic patients.
· This vegetable also helps in weight reduction and maintains a fresh slimmer toned skin when consumed in good quantity on regular basis.
Garden egg leaves or African eggplant leaves is a nutritious vegetable that is commonly known as blood tonic but the nutritional benefits are not just limited to that. They are used for preparing different types of foods such as Nigerian soup, vegetable yam, sauce and more.
The nutrients in the leaves are gained when eaten raw or used for culinary purposes, medicinal and curative reasons.